On 2020-11-20 Ansgar <ans...@43-1.org> wrote:
> I would like to propose to plan to move to support merged-usr-only over
> the following releases.  The motivation is bugs like [1] where upstream
> developers just use `/usr/bin/rm` (or other binaries, or user scripts
> using /usr/bin/bash, or ...) unconditionally; this was already a
> motivation to adopt merged-/usr as a default for me.

> As far as I know nothing broke catastrophically over the last releases
> with merged-/usr.

> Alternatively, a team could form that preemptively looks at such issues
> and fixes them, ideally upstream.

> So a possible idea would be to:

>  - For Debian 12 (bookworm): make it mandatory to migrate old systems to
>    merged-/usr on upgrade. Possibly by allowing the existing usrmerge
>    program to run from the initramfs.

>  - For Debian 13 (trixie): packages should no longer install to /bin,
>    /sbin, /lib, but to the respective locations under /usr.

Hello Ansgar,

I am all for declaring a cutoff date (and release) which makes usrmerge
mandatory and the only supported setup. (Or alternatively make usrmerge
an unsupported setup.) The current state where we are trying to support
both and end up dealing with fallout and cannot make real progress to
the clean state (bash being shipped as /usr/bin/bash and therefore dpkg
knowing about it) is a waste of developer time.

cu Andreas
so grateful to you.'