On Tue, 2021-07-20 at 13:41 +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Hello,
> Isn't this kind of crying over spilt milk? I also wish we never had
> ended up with the buster/bullseye state where both unmerged and
> merged-/usr-via-aliased-dirs are fully supported. However there is
> now a huge number of merged-/usr-via-aliased-dirs installations out
> there and we cannot make them magically disappear. Undoing
> merged-/usr-via-aliased-dirs would be very error-prone while afaiui
> we have a relatively simple plan to get a clean merged /usr in
> bookworm or bookworm +1:

According to the dpkg developer and maintainer Guillem users can still
rescue their systems from merged-/usr-via-aliased-dirs with the aid of
dpkg-fsys-usrunmess(8), see
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#Q:_Does_dpkg_support_merged-.2Fusr-via-aliased-dirs.3F

I for one will always use that whenever I (accidentally?) install
Debian in the future. All my old installations does not carry this bug.
Or is there some easier way to avoid merged-/usr except using --no-
merged-usr in debootstrap with new installations as written in
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/MergedUsr?