Hi,

I am enjoying Debian's testing branch as a reasonably stable and up-to-date
'rolling' release, and I have to say it satisfies all my desires, almost.
The one thing that bothers me is that every two years, the unstable/testing
branches are frozen to certain extent because of the stable releases. This
means the testing branch can be quite lagged behind upstream releases. One
example is gcc, with gcc-11 released almost 6 months ago, and it is still
not default in debian testing - I know it is being worked on right now and
probably only a couple days away, but still...

So the question is, why not cut a release branch every two years, and at
the same time keep the unstable/testing alive? Is it because debian
developers think it's too much work to reconcile the differences later, so
they prefer freezing?

Some ppl recommend arch for this reason, but I am already familiar with
apt's way of things, and would hold off switching before I have a better
understanding of the bigger picture.

I am certainly not qualified to make recommendations here, just wondering
what is the reason behind it and if there is some proposal to make testing
a better/closer 'rolling' release that ppl like me can enjoy better:)

cheers,