On 17/04/2022 19:26, Satvik Sinha wrote:
> Hi,guys and Good Day! So in recent days ,it was observed that many open
> source contributors vandalised their or someone else's  project's
> reputation to show agendas of Russia-Ukraine war, Some even vandalised
> their project to destroy system in Russia and Belarus (Node-ipc being
> one of them) that affected many people and their trust on open-source
> software. So I wanted to ask How safe is Debian doing right now and how
> will you guys prevent contributors pushing such malicious code into your
> software and how will you detect a software getting vandalised to showed
> Anti-war agenda by abusing your OS's reputation?

If there are backdoors in Debian then they are harder to detect.  Large
intelligence agencies aim for plausible deniability.  Look at the
infamous OpenSSL vulnerability[1].  After investing so much time
planting agents and backdoors in Debian, they will not want to blow
their cover by doing something so brash.

There has recently been evidence on Debian Community News about some
cases, for example:

Paul Tagliamonte and Sam Hartman and their Pentagon connections, with photos

Jonathan Wiltshire and Chris Lamb having GCHQ proximity, with a map

There are approximately 1000 Debian Developers and when one of us makes
an upload, there is no obligation for somebody else to check it.  On the
other hand, there is a period of days or weeks before new uploads can
propagate to stable systems.  This may make it more robust if you only
use stable.

debian-proj...@lists.debian.org is now being censored to stop
discussions like this about Debian integrity.

Regards,

Daniel

1.
https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/julian-assange-debian-is-owned-by-the-nsa/