On 2022-10-02 at 13:52, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Shengjing Zhu <z...@debian.org> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 10:53 PM Steve McIntyre <st...@einval.com>
>> wrote:
>
>>> So this is the one bit that I don't think we currently have a
>>> good answer for. We've never had a specific script to run on
>>> upgrades (like Ubuntu do), so this kind of potentially breaking
>>> change doesn't really have an obvious place to be fixed.
>
>>> Obviously we'll need to mention this in the release notes for
>>> bookworm. Should we maybe talk about adding an upgrade helper
>>> tool?
>
>> For upgrading, people already need to edit their source list to
>> change the suite name, why would it hurt to add one more manual
>> step to change the section name?
>
> I think the difference is that if you don't update your sources.list
> to point to the new suite, your system won't upgrade and so the
> problem will be very obvious.  But if you currently have non-free
> configured but don't add the new firmware section, everything will
> appear to work but you won't get new firmware, so the problem may go
> unnoticed.

There's also the issue of people who track stable or testing by that
name, rather than by the release-specific codename, and so *don't* need
to edit sources.list to start getting the packages from the new release.

I don't know how many of us there are, but I know there's at least me
(for the testing case), and I'd greatly prefer to be able to run an
upgrade and have things Just Work rather than need to make sure I catch
whatever notification comes along and make that change at the right
time to coordinate with when the 'upstream' change is made.

--
   The Wanderer