Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org> writes:

> I think documentation is fundamental for dealing with local
> changes. When I say that I don't think we should worry about strange
> local-only changes I mean exactly as you said, that I don't think we
> should start shipping complicated code that tries to deal with people
> diverting /sbin/init to /var/lolcat or whatever. Clear documentation
> that tells "if you did X look at Y and do Z" is the bare minimum I'd
> think.

Hi,

I have been trying to follow this discussion because I agree with the
above, and we have been trying to get exactly this added to bookworm's
release notes.

Regardless of what happens in the future, users need to know what might
break when the upgrade from a non-usr-merged system to bookworm. So far
there isnt really anything clear out there for users that i can find
that clearly lists the problems, but (as far as i can follow), the same
issues in this thread may cause issues for people with more ususual
setups.

the merge request is here:
  https://salsa.debian.org/ddp-team/release-notes/-/merge_requests/155/diffs

(We are trying to give users a full list while also making it clear that
most people wont have an issue on the upgrade)

Would be great to confirm we've captured everything and given the right
advice (to the extent that this is possible) on avoiding issues.

Thanks
Richard