Didier 'OdyX' Raboud <o...@debian.org> writes:

> This has existed in a (now distant) past as the "Linux Distribution
> Checker", in the context of the Linux Standard Base, that Debian and
> Ubuntu stopped caring about in late 2015.

Ah, yes, thank you, that makes sense.

> I'm not aware of more recent efforts in that direction; but it's an
> understatement to say the landscape has changed quite a bit since:
> containers, sandbox environments (and others) have forever changed the
> way we think about distributing binary executable. LSB had that
> ambition, and failed.

While that is certainly true, I feel like the pendulum may be swinging
back in a slightly different way with Go and Rust popularizing the idea
that you should be able to copy around a binary and run it on any Linux
system with a compatible architecture.  This is a much smaller problem
than LSB was trying to solve since LSB was trying to standardize things
like the shared library ABI and SONAMEs, which Go and Rust intentionally
avoid with static linking.  But they do rely very deeply on every system
being able to execute binaries built to the Linux ABI and glibc.  (I
realize that's a different question than the one discussed in this
thread.)

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)              <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>