On Sun, 11 Jun 2023, 14:32 Jeroen Dekkers, <jer...@dekkers.ch> wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jun 2023 22:14:16 +0200,
> Helmut Grohne wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 09, 2023 at 02:42:25PM -0500, Richard Laager wrote:
> > > Later, whatever replaces /lib64 with a symlink needs to deal with
> this, but
> > > that's not significantly different than whatever it was going to do
> anyway,
> > > right? Just do this:
> > >
> > > 1. Whatever safety checks are appropriate.
> > > 2. Unless already verified to be identical by #1, hardlink
> > > /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 to /usr/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2. This
> might
> > > be just a particular instance of the more general case of hardlink
> > > everything from /lib64 into /usr/lib64.
> > > 3. Unlink everything from /lib64.
> > > 4. Unlink /lib64.
> > > 5. Symlink /lib64 to /usr/lib64
> >
> > I think we start from the premise that /lib64 already is a symlink and
> > as long as libc6 actually ships /lib64 (even if empty), dpkg won't
> > delete it. What we will not get here is getting rid of the aliasing and
> > we will also be unable to ship /lib64 as a symlink in any data.tar
> > (since that would be a directory vs symlink conflict, which has
> > unpack-order-dependent behaviour, which is bad).
>
> But if all packages in trixie are changed to not ship /lib64 anymore, there
> wouldn't be a conflict in trixie anymore? If we have the following
> situation:
>
> - We change dpkg to never delete /bin, /lib, /lib32, /lib64, /libo32,
> /libx32,
>   and /sbin. We can also change dpkg in bookworm to not do this so that we
> are
>   sure that when upgrading to trixie we have a dpkg that won't delete any
> of
>   these symlinks.

Changing dpkg is a non starter. Even assuming it's doable (it's not) it
would take years of fighting before a single line of code was merged, and
would require finding a new maintainer at a minimum. Are you volunteering
for the job? The file move moratorium would have to remain in place for
2/3/4 releases on top of that while all of this is sorted.

Helmut's idea is good because it's doable in the real world. Are there
theoretical alternatives? Most likely. But let's focus on what's possible
and really doable in the next month or so and get this over with, please.

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi