Simon McVittie left as an exercise for the reader:
> At the moment I believe the status quo for d-i is that networking is
> managed by NetworkManager if a desktop task happens to have pulled it in,
> or ifupdown otherwise? And that seems reasonable (although I personally
> prefer to set up systemd-networkd on servers).

i don't wish to start an argument, but just to ask: everyone has
recommended NetworkManager for workstations. i've been running
systemd-networkd on everything (servers, laptops, and
workstations) for several years now, usually in conjunction with
dnsmasq and wpa_supplicant, and it's been pretty great. what
does NetworkManager offer that makes it superior to
systemd-networkd on the desktop (which i'm interpreting to mean
"for interactive use")?

i'm not doubting its advantages, just ignorant of them. =] it
seems to me that unifying the network stack has some value all
its own.

--
nick black -=- https://www.nick-black.com
to make an apple pie from scratch,