Hi Russ,

On 6/29/23 01:58, Russ Allbery wrote:

According to Policy as currently published, systemd units are
encouraged, and init scripts are mandatory.

I thought I found and fixed all of the places init scripts were said to be
mandatory, but apparently I missed one.  Could you file a bug and point it
out?  That obviously need to be fixed.

It appears I have misread that paragraph. Neither are mandatory, just encouraged, which makes sense to me.

Policy certainy needs work.

What is definitely missing is the feature set systemd units can expect.

Since we're effectively delegating part of Policy to systemd upstream, this reference should be made explicit, and versioned. We certainly do not want to maintain our own copy of that documentation.

What is unclear to me is whether we want to include smaller policy items imported from systemd verbatim or by reference (i.e. is usrmerge a Debian policy, or a systemd policy?).

   Simon