On 2024-01-21 Matthias Urlichs <matth...@urlichs.de> wrote:
> On 21.01.24 15:34, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > However according to our release notes we only support upgrading from
> > release x to x+1, skipping releases is not allowed.

> I'm not talking about skipping releases but about partial upgrades.

eah, but it still answers your question. ...

> Thus …

> > foo/testing requires bar >=1.1 to work but just states "Depends: bar >=1",
> and bar/stable is 1.0.42

> assume that Stable has bar/stable==1.0.42 and foo/stable==2.1, while Testing
> has foo/stable==2.2. $USER adds Testing (or possibly stable/backports) to
> their apt.sources, updates foo, observes breakage, and now needs to dig
> through dependencies to figure out what went wrong.

... If testing's foo 2.2 required bar >> 1.0.42 it would need to have a
respective *versioned* dependency.

> Yes I know that this cannot happen when people simply dist-upgrade,
[...]

I strongly disagree. A dist-upgrade is not atomic. foo and bar will/can be
upgraded at separated dpkg runs by apt. If the dependencies are not
strong enough we would see breakage.

cu Andreas