On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 12:33:08PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Aside from the libuuid1t64 revert, for which binNMUs have been scheduled, I
> actually would expect unstable to be dist-upgradeable on non-32-bit archs:
> either the existing non-t64 library will be kept installed because nothing
> yet needs the t64 version, or something does want the t64 version and apt
> will accept it as a replacement for the non-t64 version because it Provides:
> the non-t64 name.
>
> So once the libuuidt64 revert is done (later today?), if apt dist-upgrade is
> NOT working, I think we should want to see some apt output showing what's
> not working.

Sorry, I've been crazy busy so I didn't have time to object to
libuuid1t64 as bewing compltely unnecessary before it had rolled out
to unstable.  Similarly, libcom-err2 and libss2 don't use time_t, so
the rename to ...t64 was completely unnecessary.

On my todo list was to figuire out how to revert them, but given that
libuuid1t64 has been causing problems and has required the revert, I
was planning on waiting for the dust to settle before trying to fix up
libcom-err2 and libss2.

(None of this is intended to be a criticism of the team working on
time_t transition; I understand how it's hard to figure out whether a
library has a time_t exported in their interface.  Unfortunately, I
had less than a week to respond, and it happened while I was
travelling, so I didn't have time to review before I saw the upload to
unstable, and I figured out that it was too late for me to object.)

                                 - Ted