Control: reassign -1 src:apt
Control: severity -1 wishlist

On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 1:00 PM mYnDstrEAm <myndstr...@protonmail.ch> wrote:
> Thanks guys, these are very useful methods and I'll mention these as
> alternatives to disk cleanups recommended at
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/q/774199/233262 (this would probably very
> useful to have at places about upgrades failing due to disk space issues even
> though people only look these up once the problems already occurred).
>
> However, the problem of the upgrade requiring more disk space than displayed
> at first remains and the command by Zeimetz can't be used with a built-in
> rememberable well-known command like sudo apt-get upgrade --stepwise

Personally, I don't think a machine that has that limited storage
ought to be upgraded using apt from one Debian stable release to
another. I suggest upgrading the storage first. If that's not
possible, I recommend replacing the OS with a new image of Debian
rather than trying to use apt to upgrade a few packages at a time. As
has already been mentioned, it is not supported to arbitrarily break
apt updates up like that to upgrade from say Debian 12 to the
not-yet-released Debian 13.

Thank you,
Jeremy Bícha