Hi,

On 5/27/24 11:29, Luca Boccassi wrote:

With the default system installation including persistent journald by
default, it doesn't seem useful anymore to have such dependencies. They
are leftovers from an era where not having a system logging setup that
just worked by default was a thing, and fortunately we are long past
that today.

There is no need to advertise for the default setting. :)

For the benefit of Devuan, we could change this to "systemd-sysv | system-log-daemon".

The only breakage resulting from this change would be Debian based container images that pull in a (nonfunctional, because not entrypoint) systemd instead of the logging daemon they expect, but that also breaks when we demote the dependency, so that's not worse.

And anyone using a different entrypoint is unsupported by Debian anyway.

   Simon