On 2024-06-10 at 08:09, rhys wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2024, at 01:44, Andrey Rakhmatullin <w...@debian.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 09, 2024 at 08:39:27PM -0500, r...@neoquasar.org
>> wrote:

>>> Reuse is better than recycle for complex things like electronics.
>>>
>> You were suggested to resuse an old amd64 machine.
>
> Again, that assumes that I have such a thing.  I don't.  Unless you
> want to provide one?
>
> Also, that still doesn't explain how that means the existing 32-bit
> machine stays out of the waste stream.  In your solution, it doesn't.
> In my solution, it does.

I think the suggestion was to take an old amd64 machine out of the waste
stream, and put the existing 32-bit machine into the waste stream, so
that the total amount in the waste stream remains the same but you no
longer need software support for the 32-bit machine.

How to get access to the right parts of the waste stream to be able to
pull out some working 64-bit hardware is another question, and one where
I don't have an answer that wouldn't involve spending money (which would
presumably make the proposed alternative insufficiently comparable,
since presumably you wouldn't have to spend money to keep the existing
32-bit machine in service). If Andrey does, I'd be interested to learn
it.

--
   The Wanderer