Hello,

On 14.06.24 12:53, r...@neoquasar.org wrote:
Then it's not a problem in the first place. If you can't reproduce a bug with a reasonable effort, then it is unconfirmed and you can stop worrying about it. A bug that can't be reproduced, effectively doesn't exist.

That's not a reason to stop supporting an entire architecture. That's a troubleshooting decision that you would make on any architecture.

Sent from my mobile device.

*From:* Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org>
*Sent:* Friday, June 14, 2024 04:39
*To:* debian-devel@lists.debian.org
*Subject:* Re: Re: About i386 support

> I've tried reproducing the daemon-reload bug report, unless I missed
> something
> obvious, daemon-reload works on my T2300, the TM Efficeon, and the
> pre-SSE2
> Pentium 3 (mobile) that I have. I could try running it on an original
> Pentium, but I doubt that debian will run on it at all, even when
> ignoring the fact that the thing also only has 96M of ram, which is
> to small to load a ramdisk and debian only targets i686. So the bug
> might only apply to a very specific processor, unless there is a
> patch
> in the debian package.

There are no relevant patches in the Debian package. This is exactly
the problem with supporting old and obsolete architectures, that are
very difficult to find in the wild: things break in weird and
incomprehensible ways, and nobody is able to fix them. This is one of
the main jobs of porters: if you can't triage and fix this issue, then
it's likely you won't be able to triage and fix other architecture-
specific issues either, as this is very very likely a hidden compiler
toolchain issue. The effort required to have a release architecture
officially supported in Debian goes way beyond "I have an old machine
under the desk and can build some trivial packages", I am afraid.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

Looking at the upstream bug report, the issue seemed to also affect
the  Intel J1900, which is a amd64 machine, so the bug is architecture-
independent. I'll look if I can get either of those processors, though I'd
doubt that.

However I do get the point that toolchain issues are a major problem and
can be a blocker for supporting an architecture, having encountered some
bugs when porting globulation2 to Haiku.
I'll look at the debian build tracker to have a look at broken packages.
Currently though I still don't really understand how the tracker works,
I'll first try to get a grasp about that.

Kind regards,
Maite Gamper