On Tue, 02 Jul 2024 at 03:47:29 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Fri, 2024-06-07 at 15:40:07 +0200, Alexandre Detiste wrote:
> > Maybe a compromise would be to at least mandate some UTF-8 locale.
>
> dpkg-buildpackage: Require an UTF-8 (or ASCII) locale when
> building packages

Allowing ASCII seems counterproductive: that puts us in the code path
where various tools and runtimes (especially Python) will refuse to
process or output anything outside the 0-127 range, which I believe is
exactly the problem that debhelper aims to solve by using C.UTF-8 for
some categories of package (in particular those that build with Meson).

To get what Alexandre suggested, we'd need to allow UTF-8 but not allow
ASCII (so for example fr_FR.UTF-8 or C.UTF-8 is fine, but in particular
the C locale is not).

Or perhaps this pseudocode?

if (charset != UTF-8) {
    emit a warning
    export LC_ALL=C.UTF-8
    unset LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE (etc.)
}

    smcv