to 11. heinäk. 2024 klo 12.34 Daniel Gröber (d...@darkboxed.org) kirjoitti:

> > > If ifupdown's paradigm were working for people we wouldn't be having this
> > > conversation.
> >
> > The paradigm is working.
>
> I mean looking at the other half of this thread, clearly the ifupdown*
> paradigm isn't working at all for some people which I think is
> unfortunate. I just want to point out that -ng comes as a library too
> (which I haven't packaged separately yet) so integrating with
> /etc/network/interfaces and even the interface state should very much be
> possible for any other network managment tool that would want to.

I haven't see anyone answer the question of what doesn't work with ifupdown.

> I still think you're making too much of this `use` feature. I had a
> conversation with upstream about it and took another look at the code and
> it's basically just an optimization to *only* run the delcared executors as
> opposed to all of them (in case any of their config stanzas are used).

Whcih still could be accomplished using the 3rd item of the
traditional ifdown line.

> > > How else would you move /etc/network/interfaces forward without breaking
> > > anything?
> >
> > I would really like to hear what is wrong with the current format.
>
> I'd like to hear what is wrong with making the current format more
> extensible with full legacy compatibility?
>
> The format is fine, but ofc. ifupdown-ng is going to extend it where it
> makes sense.
>
> > For my perspective, the main issues with ifupdown are:
> >
> > 1) ifupdown doesn't handle bridges and vlans without external
> > packages, yet it already depends upon iproute2, which provides 'ip'
> > i.e. a command that can handle these quite nicely.
>
> Not quite true, vlan support is now internal AFAIK, or at least I haven't
> installed `vlan` in ages and things seem to work :)

I said ifupdown, not ifupdown-ng.

> > 4) That systemd unit generation blissfully ignores anything else that
> > physical interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces which introduces yet
> > more reproducibility problems.
>
> Not sure what you're talking about here?

ifupdown has helpers that dynamically generate systemd service units
upon bootup. It only generates them for en* and wl* interfaces, which
are then started at random according to systemd preferences. Later in
the boot process, a generic networking.service unit is run to bring up
everything else found in /etc/network/interfaces e.g. vlan, bridges.

Martin-Éric