On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:

>       Well, vrwave only needs a java runtime environment to run. The
> dependancies I've marked are related to jdk 1.1 (jdk1.1-runtime) or jdk
> 1.0.2 (jdk-shared OR jdk-static). Alas, I sent a mail to wnpp because I
> don't like this either, I would prefer a "Depends: java (=> 1.0.2)" and
> let the package manager figure out if the dependancy is fulfilled with any
> version of Java runtime you have.

You can't do that because of a limitation in dpkg. If a package Provides:
java and another package Depends: java (=> 1.0.2), the former package can
never satisfy this dependency. To satisfy this versioned dependency,
you'll have to have a package that is actually called "java" and has
version 1.0.2 or higher.

>       AFAIK there are other runtime environments (kaffee?) that would go
> into "main", but since there is no virtual package as of now, and I really
> haven't tried it with these (maybe you could help?) the Dependancies are
> as shown.

It might work, but until there is a free runtime java environment in main,
vrwave can't go into main. If it doesn't run (or compile, for that matter)
without one or more packages that are currently not in main, the package
can't go into main.

>       I hope this situation would change, since vrwave can go in main
> without any problem. Either way I would have to ask to be moved into
> contrib (which I wouldn't like at all).

I'd think contrib is the only solution for now. As soon as there is a free
runtime java environment in main and vrwave works with it, vrwave can be
moved from contrib into main.

Remco