David Huggins-Daines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Is the dependency on gsfonts | xfntscl too bogus?  (It needs Type 1 fonts
> to be at all useful, and the demonstration program "xglyph" in t1lib0-bin
> will spit out rude error messages if it can't see any fonts).

I'm just a new guy, but I think it should be downgraded to "Suggests",
if even that.

The question is "does t1lib require these particular fonts so strongly
that the user should be forced -- or nearly so -- to install them?"  I
say no, because:

  - there are other sources of Type1 fonts in the Debian distribution:
    freefont, sharefont, acroread, and perhaps other packages all
    contain Type 1 fonts.

  - Users might have their own fonts.  I have plenty of Type1 fonts on
    my system, and I don't have either gsfonts or xfntscl installed.
    I've been wanting a package of t1lib, and I'll be very annoyed if
    I have to install fonts I neither want nor need just to satisfy
    dpkg.

  - t1lib might be used by an application to provide *optional* Type 1
    support (see xmbdfed and its relationship to freetype1).  It's bad
    enough an uninterested user will have to install the library; they
    should not be forced to install unwanted fonts too.

  - t1lib might be used by an application to render its own custom
    fonts only; once again, why force the user to install a package he
    doesn't need?

  - t1lib might be used by a console-only program, in which case it
    might be inappropriate to require fonts which are clearly
    associated with X.

I would say that the only appropriate time to depend on a font package
is when the depending program needs one of the specific fonts that is
in that package.

A quick check through /var/lib/dpkg/available shows the following
about font dependencies:

  - the strongest dependency on xfntscl, freefonts, or sharefonts is
    "Suggests"

  - the strongest dependency on xfntbase (probably the most likely
    package to contain fonts a program requires) is "Recommends"

  - the strongest dependency on gsfonts (even by Ghostscript itself!)
    is "Recommends"

  - the GIMP "Depends" on xfnt75 and xfnt100, but otherwise the
    strongest dependency on those is also "Recommends"

--Rob

--
Rob Tillotson  N9MTB                    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]