Tim Dijkstra writes ("dpkg 2.0?"):
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:33:48 +0100
> Steve McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > How is dpkg development going atm?
> A while ago there was some talk about dpkg 2.0, some nice looking
> documents (written by ubuntu IIRC), with interesting ideas. Was this
> just talk, or are there any serious plan of a major rewrite? I haven't
> seen any discussions on this list about it ...

`dpkg 2.0' is a marketing term, AFAICT, and doesn't represent a plan
to do a rewrite - rather, a plan to add features.

The dpkg code is quite old, and badly abused by one particularly
prolific previous maintainer, so it is in need of an overhaul by an
expert C programmer.  But a rewrite ought not to be on the cards IMO.

Ian.