Hi Guillem,

> If --exec is supposedly broken then this would affect any daemon using
> it, which I find a bit perplexing, and I'd have expected a ton of bug
> reports on dpkg due to broken upgrades. I've rechecked it on current
> unstable, and it still works here.
That's surprising me, too. It works fine on my laptop, which uses testing.

> Going over the original bug report I see this very suspicious line:
>
> ,---
> chrisb@massmail:~$ sudo ls /proc/427/exe -l
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Dec  6 01:33 /proc/427/exe ->
> (deleted)/usr/sbin/rsyslogd
> `---
>
> If this is really the contents of the exe symlink, then that's the reason
> s-s-d cannot find the process. The expected contents of the symlink
> when the inode has been unlinked should be «/pathname (deleted)».
I can however confirm this observation. On my server, it says:
> # ls -lah /proc/$(pidof rsyslogd)/exe
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Mar 19 19:38 /proc/30211/exe ->
> (deleted)/usr/sbin/rsyslogd

> Chris, Ralf, what kind of kernel are you guys using? Is that a custom
> one? Perhaps heavily patched?
The system is running on a virtual server provided by Stato. I do not
have access to the kernel - as in, I cannot (un)load modules or even
choose my own. As far as I know, they are using OpenVZ for
visualisation. At least, the root FS has type "vzfs". uname says:
> # uname -srvmpo
> Linux 2.6.32-042stab078.27 #1 SMP Mon Jul 1 20:48:07 MSK 2013 i686 unknown
> GNU/Linux

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards
Ralf