On 14-03-2005 21:46, Ralf Gesel|ensetter wrote:

> how are you. I appreciate your ivestigative approach. it throws another
> light onto the cms debate, rather from a developer angle. I reckon this
> really important, as the interchange between coding developers and the
> community of supporting users tends to be too low in general.

Glad you appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing you in Nafplion (you
do show up there too, right?)!

> Am Montag, 14. März 2005 19:29 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
>
>>My intend was to point out that diversity comes at a price. And that
>>Skolelinux may be aware of that, but maybe not. So you responded that
>>you are very well aware and have indeed chosen deliberately to put
>>this extra burden onto the contributors. Fine...
>

> I doubt that this is valid generally: True maybe for contents that is
> made by developers for developers - what has been called rather
> "static".

...And just about all of "About Skolelinux". Well, actually all of the
items in the left side menu except maybe "News" and "Links".

Wouldn't it be sane to have those pages translated into more languages
than have (yet!) an active Skolelinux community large enough to produce
their own local pages?

> But as for information that is (to be) written by users for
> users (teachers, pupils), a usable CMS is not only a facility. It
> empowers / recrutes a huge amount of possible contributers: Entire
> classes can work in their language on documentation and teaching
> materials.

I agree. But classical CMS like Plone and eZ tend to restrict write
access to those authorised by someone higher in the management
hierarchy. So to have a whole class working they must either pass on
their work to their teacher (and thus the teacher gets recognized as the
author technically in the CMS) or they must all be authorised ahead by
someone.

CMS (in its classical form) empowers specific known persons.

Wiki empowers a community of unknown size.

(and for those unfamiliar with wiki: Message boards empowers a community
of unknown size as well, but focus on the latest opinions rather than
getting them down in writing and well organized)

Wiki seems more appropriate for the tasks you describe above!

> So, I'd rather call it a shift of burden onto the shoulders of those the
> contents aim to.

I agree there's a strong need for "peer-to-peer" style communication.
But I disagree if you claim that the Skolelinux organization is best
suited with each language team deciding for themselves the structural
parts of the website in their language. More pages than technical ones
ought to be syncronous across languages.

Debian is not a good reference for communication to end users: We take
care of our developers and let other communities evolve (like
debianplanet.org ) for our end users.

It seems useful to me to have Debian help with the (more or less) static
parts of the Skolelinux web content - which seems to me to be most of
the pages directly referenced from the left side menu of todays Plone
site. In addition to that each language team could be provided with a
wiki (or classical CMS if you insist) for their local community work -
which may possibly be adopted into the core by getting translated into
english and put into the Debian site.

The best answer is not always found among those seeking it.

> Now from my memory, the push and pull factors that make a migration
> worth a thought:

That relates to plone vs. eZ rather than plone vs. debian-www, so I
respond in that thread.

regards,

 - Jonas

- --