Hi José,

José Vieira schreef op vr 02-04-2021 om 14:27 [+0100]:
> Hi Frans,
>
> Sorry for the late reply. And thank you for your thorough explanation.
> Appreciated.
>
> I understand that the Debian process is not as straight forward or as
> flexible as people (myself, at least) would like it to be. And, as it
> doesn't depend on you, Debian Edu people, I won't complain to you about
> it, of course. I can just show my surprise to see that the Debian guys
> seem to take documentation packages (a "handbook", in the case) as any
> other packages, as if they would have any implications on the system
> itself. To me, documentation packages should be the very last to get into
> the system, giving people the opportunity to introduce the last info on
> the supporting documents, to translate those last introduced texts, to
> accommodate translations of the manual to languages that didn't have
> translations before, if they get ready meanwhile, etc. But, I may be
> wrong of course, since I don't know the debian process.

You should certainly understand two things in this regard. First of all, in
the last stages of the freeze process, packages can only be added or
changed if strict criteria are met, which usually means that release-
critical bugs can be closed as a result. A second thing is that after the
release of debian-edu bullseye, the manual for debian-edu buster will only
be included for historical reasons in the bullseye debian-edu-doc packages,
including in debian-edu-doc-pt-pt, because users which will install debian-
edu will have to rely on the accompanying bullseye manual.

> An other point is the project on hosted.weblate. I'm surprised by the
> fact that nobody seems to have realized that if there is a "resource" (a
> "language") listed, very likely it'll be only a question time until
> someone clicks on it, and so people should be prepared to deal with it.

I indeed could have blocked the pt option on hosted-weblate, and maybe I
should have done so. But checking all the possible options provided on
hosted-weblate for all projects hosted there, for their compatibility with
debian's actual localization infrastructure status would be a difficult and
error-prone task, which I would have to revise upon any change in that
area.

> Anyway, I just meant to help, not to cause trouble.

Sure, and this of course is still much appreciated.

>  Help you guys by helping with making the manual available to more
> people, and help people who do not speak English to have the manual --
> i.e., the info on how to use the system -- in their own "normal"
> language.

In this regard, I am still convinced that it may be worthwhile to ask for
advice on the  mailing lists debian-l10n-portugu...@lists.debian.org and
debian-devel-portugu...@lists.debian.org regarding the issue of coexistent
pt-pt and pt versions of the debian-edu-doc package. Portuguese is used on
these mailing lists.

--
Kind regards,
Frans Spiesschaert