Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the bug report, reply follows inline.

Thomas Dorner <debian-b...@th-dorner.de> writes:

> Package: elpa-folding
> Version: 0.0~git20220110.1ce338b-1
> Severity: important
>
> Dear Maintainer,
>
> today's stable update of Emacs GTK (1:28.2+1-15+deb12u3) failed with a
> strange compilation error in elpa-folding.  After removing elpa-folding
> (and the dependent emacs-goodies-el) the update was successful.  Trying
> to reinstall emacs-goodies-el and elpa-folding still fails afterwards:

I agree this is strange, because native-compilation shouldn't execute as
part of dpkg configure.

> # apt install emacs-goodies-el
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> The following additional packages will be installed:
>   elpa-folding
>   elpa-folding emacs-goodies-el

Out of curiosity, did you get root with "sudo -s"?  Try this:

  su -  # or if you don't have the root account enabled: sudo -i
  apt clean  # mitigates the unlikely case the download was corrupted
  apt purge elpa-folding
  apt install elpa-folding

[snip]
> Unpacking emacs-goodies-el (42.4) ...
> Setting up elpa-folding (0.0~git20220110.1ce338b-1) ...
> Install emacsen-common for emacs
> emacsen-common: Handling install of emacsen flavor emacs
> Install elpa-folding for emacs
> install/folding-20220110.1718: Handling install of emacsen flavor emacs
> install/folding-20220110.1718: byte-compiling for emacs
>
> In toplevel form:
> folding.el:1637:13: Warning: Package cl is deprecated
> folding.el:1718:6: Error: Native elisp load failed:
> "/tmp/comp-lambda-z2mAEN.eln", "/tmp/comp-lambda-z2mAEN.eln: failed to map
> segment from shared object"

/\ This is the strange part.  I don't understand why native-compilation
is being triggered.  That said, have you mounted /tmp with "-o noexec"?
I agree that that it's essential mount anything writeable with noexec;
however, this breaks native-compilation.

> ERROR: install script from elpa-folding package failed
> dpkg: error processing package elpa-folding (--configure):
>  installed elpa-folding package post-installation script subprocess returned
> error exit status 1
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of emacs-goodies-el:
>  emacs-goodies-el depends on elpa-folding; however:
>   Package elpa-folding is not configured yet.

This bug wasn't triggered when apt upgraded on my system, I couldn't
trigger it with dpkg-reconfigure elpa-folding, and I wasn't able to
reproduce this in a clean bookworm schroot.

  apt install emacs-goodies-el
  # enable bookworm-security
  apt update && apt upgrade
  # Successful update