Replying from my phone:

On Wed, 3 Jul 2024, 22:40 Sean Whitton, <spwhit...@spwhitton.name> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry to keep asking for these minor changes, but it does help me
> understand the change better.
>
> Why can't you just use debian/install to install the .nosearch?  Are you
> trying to avoid creating an empty .nosearch in the source package, or is
> there some other reason?

While we're discussing interface, I'm curious about a "debian:rules:dh
--with dh-elpa --nosearch, norecurse, flat, or similar".

For the fine-grained approach, I'm curious about special handling for
debian/foo.elpa: subdir/.nosearch.  Like an autoload cookie, but a " do not
recourse and do not load" cookie.

Ie can't this problem be resolved such that it enables declarative style
and doesn't require a debian/[foo.]install file?