+++ Enrico Weigelt [2010-12-04 23:27 +0100]:
> * Neil Williams <codeh...@debian.org> schrieb:
>
> > > Crosscompiling w/o sysroot is simply stupid. Period.
> >
> > If your argument relies on abuse then you've already lost.
>
> Already said something about that in another mail.
> The main problem of not-crosscompiling is the fundamentally wrong
> assumption, that the building system is completely compatible
> with the actual target. In embedded environments, thats almost
> never the case. Same for dozens of other specific (non distro)
> environments.

You are quite right that for cross-building stuff that is not
compatible between host and target sysroot is a very sensible way of
doing it. However for stuff that _is_ compatible it's nice not to have
to install a whole extra system and to use the symmetric paths of
multiarch. And multiarch works within a sysroot environment too - they
are not incompatible.

It's true that the current use of the old libdir paths which are
neither sysroot nor multiarch is a pain and involves a lot of tiresome
hackery. Hopefully we won't have to maintain that much longer.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/