I would like to try to install ppp on my Balloonboard.  I downloaded
ppp_2.4.5-4em1_armel.deb and libpcap0.8_1.1.1-2em1_armel.deb (upon
which ppp depends) onto my board and executed:

# dpkg -i libpcap0.8_1.1.1-2em1_armel.deb ppp_2.4.5-4em1_armel.deb

That appeared to work, (at least I didn't write down any error or
warning messages when I tried it last week), but when I tried to run
ppp, I got the following error messages:

slhc: version magic '2.6.37.6-pxa270 preempt mod_unload ARMv5 ' should
be '2.6.37.6-pxa270 mod_unload ARMv5 '
modprobe: FATAL: Error inserting ppp_generic
(/lib/modules/2.6.37.6-pxa270/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.ko):
Invalid module format

Couldn't open the /dev/ppp device: No such device or address
pppd: Please load the ppp_generic kernel module.

I suspect (but haven't verified conclusively yet) that the ppp package
includes a kernel module that needs to be rebuilt to match the options
with which my kernel was built.

In general, what is the approach for installing Emdebian .debs such as
these?  Pointers are appreciated... detailed howtos would be fabulous,
but I don't mind doing the legwork myself.

Thanks folks!

--wpd