David Schleef writes:

 > What is the status of building cross compilers with the
 > debian source packages?  I can get them to build after
 > fighting with it for a while, but it's a bit fragile.
 > It appears as though building cross compilers worked in
 > the recent past, but that changes have been made that break
 > it -- is someone maintaining this, or should I step up
 > to do it?

for gcc-2.95.3, building cross compilers should work ok. You need to
set the TARGET in the rules files and you are done. You may want to
contact Steve for further information. The patch for the rules file
comes from the Emdebian project. Cross compilers are built together
with the native compiler, so it becomes a problem if you want to build
many cross compilers.

For gcc-3.0, I took another approach. Set the GCC_TARGET env var and
the appropriate cross compiler should be built... in theory. If you
want to work on it, please do.

 > At the very least, I'll gather the changes I
 > had to make, and also write a README.building_cross_compilers.

In the source you find a (short) README.cross.

        Matthias