On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 17:31:43 -0700, Cyrus Kriticos wrote:
> i had installed Debian woody, and I set everything to unstable in the
> sources.list file. Then I did an apt-get upgrade only later to realize
> that I never selected gcc in the initial installation. So With unstable in
> my sources.list, i proceeded to apt-get install gcc. In which it finished.
> But however, with a problem. Every time i try to ./configure an app it
> produces the following:
>
> configure: error: installation or configuration
> problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
>
> then exits. So i tried compiling a small C app that
> does nothing but print to the screen and it resulted
> in:
>
> silo:/home/ircd/$ gcc file.c -o file
> collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation
> fault]
>
> It does the same as root as well. I am totally confused on why this is
> happening,

It is happening because every once in a while unstable lives up to its name,
and today is one of those days. A little one-line fix I did to binutils to
get it to build ld with unstable's current version of flex turned out to get
it to build alright, but resulted in a segfaulting ld.

A fixed version (2.13.90.0.18-1.7) can be downloaded for i386 from
http://incoming.debian.org/ currently. Other archs will undoubtedly follow
and it will enter unstable in 13.5 hours.

HTH,
Ray
--
Hacker and proud.