Hi,

Hector Oron wrote:
>> If this is right, I do not really see the advantage to divertion with
>> respect to conflicting packages.
>
> The idea on divert libgcc is for cross toolchains. I work on an
> i386/amd64 machine and i have many ARM targets, let's say i have
> processors which requires floating point emulated by software and
> others have a hardware FPU. For such condition, i would need two
> different configurations for toolchains, that makes two toolchains,
> but if we enable a diverted libgcc, just changing libgcc i can have a
> setup for one target or the other one. Does it make any sense?

I'm not questionning the interest of having several cross toolchains.

I'm questioning (with no anwser : it is opened for discussion) the fact that
you need to be root to switch between the cross toolchains (by calling
update-alternatives or by installing/removing conflicting libgcc packages).

Being root is not a problem for a personal computer at home. It is
different in a shared environment. For example, at my university, our
student works on ARM plate-forms. We installed different ARM cross
toolchains in /opt/... directories (nfs-shared).

I'm thinking that, with your proposition, Debian will be ok for me to
prepare student works on my laptop. But Debian (for cross toolchains)
will not be suited for the machines at my university. Different cross
toolchains will still needed to be manually installed in /opt.

That said, I have absolutely no idea if it is possible or not to allow
the user to choose its cross toolchain (but I'm sure that this would be
more difficult to implement than your proposition).

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanj...@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87