Package: gcc-4.4
Version: 4.4.3-7

I try to compile a program on my AMD64 system but it fails in configure
script because of a missing libgcc.a file while trying to call gcc with
the -m32 switch. This is what I have discovered so far. I have included
the failing part of the configure script:

----------------------- SNIP ---------------------
configure:4053: ccache gcc -m32 -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: skipping
incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.3/libgcc.a when searching
for -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping
incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.4.3/libgcc.a when searching
for -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:4053: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "Wine"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "wine"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.1.42"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "Wine 1.1.42"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "wine-de...@winehq.org"
| #define PACKAGE_URL "http://www.winehq.org";
| #define EXEEXT ""
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:4057: result: no
I have the same output without ccache invocation.

ld --version gives me:
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.20.1-system.20100303

I am using Debian Unstable (Sid/Squeeze) with packages updated some days
ago. If you need further details, please let me know it.

Regards,
Roland