On 06.12.19 17:36, Simon McVittie wrote:
> Package: libgcc-s1
> Version: 10-20191205-1
> Severity: important
>
> I notice gcc-10 has switched from packaging libgcc_s.so.1 as
> "libgcc1" to the Policy-recommended name libgcc-s1. Because libgcc-s1
> contains /usr/lib/MULTIARCH/libgcc_s.so.1 and libgcc1 contains
> /lib/MULTIARCH/libgcc_s.so.1, the new libgcc-s1 and the old libgcc1 do
> appear to be co-installable. However, if both are installed, programs
> that were compiled against the newer version will load the older version
> (because /lib/MULTIARCH is more preferred by the dynamic linker than
> /usr/lib/MULTIARCH), and that isn't necessarily going to work.

it's not an old version, it's the same version. Is this still an issue?

> I would
> recommend adding a versioned Breaks to force libgcc1 to be upgraded to
> the empty transitional version from gcc-10, unless there is some reason
> I'm not seeing right now that makes this unnecessary.
>
> Because libgcc is so important, you might want to give the transitional
> libgcc1 a Pre-Depends on libgcc-s1 instead of its current Depends?

I tried that, but then apt wants to remove an essential package, and asks the
interactive question. And still the Pre-Depends will leave a small window
without the library being installed.

> Otherwise, I think there can be a time during installation in which the
> old libgcc has been deleted by installing and the new one has not yet been
> unpacked. Like all Pre-Depends, this should be discussed on -devel first.
>
> I should also warn you that even after adding the necessary Breaks,
> you might also encounter bugs similar to https://bugs.debian.org/894763
> and https://bugs.debian.org/896019, which appeared when GLib moved from
> /lib/MULTIARCH to /usr/lib/MULTIARCH - somehow an obsolete copy of GLib
> continued to exist in /lib/MULTIARCH, breaking programs. We still don't
> understand how or why that happened. I asked the technical committee
> for advice in https://bugs.debian.org/911225 and they suggested adding
> diagnostic/cleanup code to GLib's maintainer scripts, but I haven't been
> able to implement that yet.

well, currently the very same library is shipped, so I don't see what could
break. The current packaging doesn't need any breaks.

> If similar bugs happen with libgcc, they would be more serious than they
> are for GLib, since some of the programs and libraries that you'd want
> to use to recover from that situation, notably apt, depend on libgcc.

Sure, the package will be in experimental for a few more months.

Matthias