Daniel> Meant to copy yo on this, Peter.  Adam suggests checking the
Daniel> output of lsattr.  If you can repeat this, strace output of
Daniel> dpkg would be nice too.

I think I've worked out the problem.  I have the lsbdev package
installed, which mounts --bind /lib/ld-2.3.2.so into
/var/lib/lsbdev/root/lib/ld-2.3.2.so

So it looks as if there's an incompatibility between lsbdev and
standard library upgrading.

Peter C