Hello,

On 06-Feb-22 20:37, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> Andreas Jochens a écrit :
> >This occurs because the patch changes the default library search path
> >of the dynamic linker from "/lib /usr/lib" to "/lib64 /usr/lib64".
>
> Well it's already strange it has works before. The dynamic linker path
> on amd64 is /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, and most of the binaries seems
> to use this path. However it seems that a few binaries and libraries are
> using /lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2. This is wrong.

I do not think that there are any binaries in Debian amd64 which are using
/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 as the linker path. The official Debian amd64
port always used /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 as the linker path
as far as I know.

Anyway, there seems to be a misunderstanding here. I referred to the default
list of paths which are searched _by_ the dynamic linker for libraries
in the absence of a '/etc/ld.so.conf' file - not to the path _of_ the
dynamic linker itself which is (and always was) /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2.

Your patch has changed the former, i.e. default list of searched library
paths from '/lib /usr/lib' to '/lib64 /usr/lib64'. This change can be
debated but it _is_ a change to the current status quo nonetheless.

As long as the /usr/lib64 symlink is added to the installer udeb
that change is not a real problem.

It is just my personal opinion that we should not unnecessarily make
the amd64 port depend on that symlink. I think that libraries should be
accessed through /usr/lib where they are installed.

Without your patch the /usr/lib64 symlink could safely be removed
without disturbing the system because libraries were accessed through
/usr/lib. With your patch, the /usr/lib64 symlink can no longer be
removed without problems because /usr/lib is not searched for libraries
by the linker unless /usr/lib is explicitly added to /etc/ld.so.conf.

> all librairies and binaries are using the /lib/ linker. Just try to
> remove /lib64 on your computer, even with the unpatched glibc, you will
> see that it is completly broken.

Yes, without the /lib64 symlink the system breaks in any case because
the path to the linker /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 - which is hardcoded
by gcc into every binary - no longer exists without the /lib64 symlink.

But I liked the fact that up to now this was the _only_ thing
which really used the /lib64 symlink. I do not like the ugly
(/usr)/lib64 directories at all and I think they should be dropped
in the long term. Again, this point is just my personal opinion
and not really technically important to make things work now.

Regards
Andreas Jochens