On Sun, Sep 03, 2017 at 11:54:03PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On 2017-09-03 18:49, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > Package: src:glibc
> > Version: 2.24-17
> > Severity: wishlist
> > Tags: patch
> >
> > Hi!
> > Here's a simple patch set to change the default of setlocale(…, "") to
> > C.UTF-8.  This is a drastically smaller change than altering the meaning of
> > "C" to mean "C.UTF-8" that upstream is mulling over -- it affects only
> > programs that already have locale support, when the user fails to set any.
>
> Even is the change is small, that might still change the behavior of
> some programs, so I am not sure we want to diverge from upstream and
> other distributions here.
>
> One example comes to my mind: initializing a postgresql database
> cluster. When not using the --locale option this would cause the
> database to use a non C locale, which has significant performance
> impact.

In this case, this will change anyway when (if?) upstream goes forward with
their version -- which sounds as if postgresql wants an explicit LC_ALL=C.
Doesn't pg_createcluster inherit locale settings from the user who's
invoking it (thus usually en_US.UTF-8 or whatever)?  Thus, in the vast
majority of uses, there's no change, merely a certain way to force the C
locate (unset LC_ALL LANG LC_CTYPE LC_...) won't work anymore.

As for diverging from upstream, lemme ask the guy behind the upstream
proposal wiki page what's the inclusion status.  You probably have a wee bit
better idea than me about upstream's workings, though.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Vat kind uf sufficiently advanced technology iz dis!?