Hi Sven,

On Mon, Apr 01, 2024 at 05:35:18PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Obviously the manpages-dev package should not have shipped these files
> as long as there are in glibc-doc; this is tracked in #1068166.

I CCed back in 2023-10 the debian-glibc@ list notifying that these pages
were absorbed into the Linux man-pages project.  They didn't respond.

<https://lore.kernel.org/linux-man/703ec07e-dd2b-bbc6-f1bc-f495e53b7...@gmail.com/T/>

However, the original author of the pages talked to me, agreeing to
that.  Other glibc upstream maintainers also participated in the thread.

> > Please, remove from glibc-doc those manual pages that conflict with
> > manpages-dev.
>
> Considering that the manpages in glibc-doc are not included upstream and

The history is a bit more complex than that.  They were originally
written upstream.  Then glibc removed them.  A decade later, Debian
added them back via a patch, with some modifications.  I noted down the
history in the discussion linked above.

> created via a Debian patch, that makes a lot of sense.  I was not aware
> of that fact.
>
> > Marcos, you'll also need to specify a breaks with glibc-doc versions
> > up to (and including) 6.38-6 in the next revision of manpages-dev, and
> > drop 6.7-1.
>
> Adding a Breaks on glibc-doc (<= 2.38-6) to manpages-dev is no good,
> because that version is only in experimental and will remain there for
> several weeks if not months.  I think manpages-dev should drop these

Why not add glibc-doc 2.38-7 dropping the patch that adds these pages?
We're not in a freeze, so I guess that's fair game.

> files for now and re-include either when glibc 2.38 is in unstable or
> when it is in testing.

Why do we need to wait to ask for a glibc-doc_2.38-7 with the patch
dropped?  Does 2.38 have any freeze at the moment?

> There is also the problem that some derivatives (most notably Ubuntu)
> are already shipping glibc 2.39 and will have to adjust Breaks/Replaces
> versions in manpages-dev accordingly.

Hmmm.  I suggest they patch glibc-doc to remove those manual pages.
They have been unsupported for a long time.  The last change in
glibc-doc is from 2013.

> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
>        Sven

Have a lovely day!
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>
Looking for a remote C programming job at the moment.