Package: release.debian.org
Severity: normal
Control: affects -1 + src:glibc
User: release.debian....@packages.debian.org
Usertags: transition

Dear release team,

I would like to get a transition slot for glibc 2.39. It has been
available in experimental for two months already. It has been built
successfully on all release architectures and most ports architectures.
The experimental pseudo-excuses look good overall.

The current known issues are available in the BTS using the glibc2.39
usertag:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=glibc2.39;users=debian-glibc@lists.debian.org

gopacket has a patch available and I can take care of NMUing if it is
not fixed before the transition starts.

For aspectc++, cbmc and rocm-hipamd, the situation is a bit more
complex. Those packages have issues with the types introduced on the
arm64 version of bits/math-vector.h. Those are guarded by clang or gcc
version checks, but the guards are ignored by the packages for various
reasons. A workaround is present in glibc 2.38, but it can't be ported
easily in glibc 2.39. I therefore propose to remove the corresponding
arm64 packages from the archive. aspectc++ and cbmc are leaf packages.
For rocm-hipamd, this also means removing 15 reverse dependencies.

As glibc is using symbol versioning, there is no soname change. That
said a few packages are using libc internal symbols and have to be
rebuilt for this transition. Here is the corresponding ben file:

  title = "glibc";
  is_affected = .depends ~ /libc[0-9.]* \(<</;
  is_good = .depends ~ /libc[0-9.]* \(<< 2.40\)/;
  is_bad = .depends ~ /libc[0-9.]* \(<< 2.39\)/;

In addition a few symbols got added to this new version:
- pidfd_spawnp / pidfd_spawn / pidfd_getpid
- posix_spawnattr_getcgroup_np / posix_spawnattr_setcgroup_np
- many symbols to support <stdbit.h> from ISO C2X

They are unlikely to be widely used at this point, but at least systemd
uses some of them. This might block their migration to testing during
the transition.

Thanks for considering.

Regards,
Aurelien