Package: libc6
Version: 2.36-9+deb12u8
Severity: wishlist

It is a known "effect" of upgrading buster to bookworm (skipping bullseye) that
upgrade
seriously breaks the system:

Unpacking libc6:amd64 (2.36-9+deb12u8) over (2.28-10+deb10u4) ...

Selecting previously unselected package libgcc-s1:amd64.

Preparing to unpack .../libgcc-s1_12.2.0-14_amd64.deb ...

Unpacking libgcc-s1:amd64 (12.2.0-14) ...

Replacing files in old package libgcc1:amd64 (1:8.3.0-6) ...

Setting up libgcc-s1:amd64 (12.2.0-14) ...

Setting up libc6:amd64 (2.36-9+deb12u8) ...

/usr/bin/perl: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open

dpkg: error processing package libc6:amd64 (--configure):

 installed libc6:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned
error exit status 127

 libc6:amd64

I guess the problem is that libc pre-depends on something like
libcrypt1_1:4.4.33 and
if it's missing it breaks a lot of components. I mean it depends on it in the
reality,
not according to package dependencies.

Since I have been observed this plenty of times I already know how to
fix (just including for the people possibly google for this):

cd /var/cache/apt/archives
dpkg -i libcrypt1_1%3a4.4.33-2_amd64.deb libpam0g_1.5.2-6+deb12u1_amd64.deb
libc6_2.36-9+deb12u8_amd64.deb
(or the actual downloaded versions)

Yes, I am aware that people are advised to gradually upgrade, and I'm sure you
are
also aware that they don't. It would be helpful and positive if package
management
could prevent this breaking (since it's probably very hard to fix for an
inexperienced user, who easily can hit this block).

(I hope that I have guessed right that this belongs to libc6, if not, I'd
appreciate if
you'd reassign it peoperly, and I thank you for your help.)

I am not sure whether it's feasible, but it would be nice if you could check
whether
it is, and if it's doable then you'd include it in the pre-depends.

If not, well, I already know what to look out for.

Thank you very much!