On Sun, Oct 01, 2023 at 11:41:51PM +0200, Robin Jarry wrote:
> Nilesh Patra, Oct 01, 2023 at 12:28:
> > The jmap.go file header says:
> >
> > """
> > // Package jmap implements JMAP Core protocol as defined in
> > // draft-ietf-jmap-core-17 (published March 2019).
> > //
> > // Documentation strings for most of the protocol objects are taken from (or
> > // based on) contents of draft-ietf-jmap-core-17 and is subject to the IETF
> > // Trust Provisions.
> > // See https://trustee.ietf.org/trust-legal-provisions.html for details.
> > // See included draft-ietf-jmap-core-17.txt for related copyright notices.
> > """
> >
> > Seems like this has copyright of one more license. (There's no
> > jmap-core-17 txt file in the package btw). Can you update d/copyright
> > please?
>
> This comment was outdated. I sent a patch to fix it upstream. However,
> I am not sure how to declare the copyright.
>
> Only the documentation (comments) are inspired or copied from the stated
> RFCs.
>
> This page states that any IETF document is distributed under these
> terms (very long text):
>
> https://trustee.ietf.org/documents/trust-legal-provisions/tlp-5/
>
> It says that the "code components" (examples) are published under the
> BSD revised (3-Clauses) license. I don't think any code excerpt was
> taken from these RFCs, though.
>
> I can add this line in d/copyright:
>
>   2019 IETF Trust and the persons identified as authors of the code.
>
> But since the upstream project is licensed with MIT, I'm not sure if
> this is correct.
>
> Thoughts?

When a file has multiple licenses, you can mention the license as
"License: Expat and RFC-Reference" and add a
comment section stating the doctrings are licensed under RFC license.

I took a hint for how it's done in gnupg2 package[1]. You could do something
similar here for the description of the RFC, hopefully this should work.

I personally don't care too much about this being mentioned or not, but FTP
master would likely reject the package if copyright is not perfect so here
we are.

[1]:
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/gnupg2/-/blob/debian/unstable/debian/copyright#L123

Best,