system: HP 9000 725/100
Linux version 2.4.17-32
apt-get update date: 05/04/2002
XFree86 version: 4.1.0.1

I am having problems configuring a CompUSA three button PS/2 and Serial
combination mouse on serial port 2. When the system boots it now fails
to display the Gnome login screen (or anything else at the console for
that matter). The last line in the X log file implies that XFree86 hangs
while attempting to add the serial mouse. Disconnecting the mouse allows
gdm (Gnome Desktop Manager) to display the login screen. Any
suggestions ... please?

I have provided the following (I hope useful) information to help you
answer my plea for help.

Excerpt from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/ttyS1"
        Option          "Protocol"              "Auto"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Excerpt from /var/log/XFree86.0.log:

(EE) No OS PCI support available <-- the only error

PEXExtensionInit: Couldn't open default PEX font file  Roman_M
(II) Keyboard "Generic Keyboard" handled by legacy driver
(**) Option "Protocol" "auto"
(**) Serial Mouse: Protocol: "auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Serial Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS1"
(==) Serial Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Serial Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Serial Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

XFree86 hangs at this point! No X display and unable to access virtual
consoles. So close and yet so far.

Thanks,
frank
Frank Alden Smith           HP MPE/iX Certified Professional
Alden Research, Inc.            Instructor -- Consultant
3617 Ligon Road
Ellicott City MD  21042

Phone: (410) 750-2101
Fax:   (410) 750-2104

"All knowing is doing" -- Humberto Maturana (biologist and teacher)