On 12/10/2012 12:35 PM, Thibaut VARENE wrote:
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Paolo Borsa <samv...@hobbiton.it> wrote:

Hi,

Ok, this is the story. Now for the questions.
- How to use, without hanging, the 64 bit kernel?
- is there a mirror available, or if I want a package the only way is to
download the source and make it myself?
Debian no longer supports PA-RISC. That's why you won't find it on
mirrors, since lenny (Debian 5.0) has been phased out and is no longer
supported. That's also why you can't netinst 5.0 anymore.
I believe that the lenny DVD images are archived and should still be available. There was a link posted a few months ago on this list. I have copies somewhere. Probably, the
security updates, etc, are gone.

It is possible to update a system from lenny to unstable using source packages, but it's a bit tricky to get past certain dependencies. I have found unstable to be very stable. It's better than
lenny as many bugs have been squashed.

Although Debian no longer supports a buildd system for PA-RISC, it is still supported as a port on Debian ports (i.e., the package maintainers still respond to bug reports, etc) for unstable. I can confirm that most packages build from source. I have a .deb collection for unstable that would make upgrading easier, but it is not currently public. Weakest area is Java support.

I had tried to setup an unstable buildd for PA-RISC but didn't get any response from Debian.

Dave

--
John David Anglin    dave.ang...@bell.net