[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neal H. Walfield) writes:

> [...]

[...]

> They really do not provide any interesting information.  Is it your
> root file system which is crashing (and therefore panicking the
> system)?  If not, then you can attach gdb to the ext2fs server and
> wait for it to crash to get a back trace.  If you decide to do this,
> you will want to recompile the Hurd to get debugging symbols.

[...]

If anyone could tell me, how to compile the current hurd sources from
Debian on a current Debian system, I'd be happy. On my box autoconf
fails, complaining about a syntax error. I don't have the knowledge
to debug this.

At the same time, repartitioning once again has largely improved the
situation here. Now I have a 1.2 GB /  and a 600 MByter /var
partition. The Hurd seems to be much happier with this than with the
previous all-in-one installation.

At the same time I wonder how I can ensure that non-root partitions
are properly unmounted/synced or however you call that on
GNU/Hurd. Unless I do "fsysopts /var --readonly" before halting the
system, on reboot e2fsck says that it wasn't cleanly unmounted.

Shouldn't the Hurd somehow inform all active translators of the
shutdown and tell them to sync and let go?

Thanks,

Johannes