Hello,

Adam D. Barratt, le Wed 16 May 2012 13:19:46 +0100, a écrit :
> Comments on / additions and corrections to the content of
> http://release.debian.org/wheezy/arch_qualify.html would be appreciated,
> as would any other information you think is relevant to helping us
> determine hurd-i386's status for the release.

First, a quick summary of points that we believe are important:

- We of course aim at tech preview for wheezy only, not a full release. Our
goal is to establish a testing distribution for wheezy which does not block
others ports (i.e. so-called fuckedarch), and get a full testing for wheezy+1.
- We are rebuiding the archive without debian-ports, it should be over before
the end of May. debian-ports now only contains packages helpful for users; it
is no longer used by the buildds since the archive rebuild started.
- The archive coverage has passed 75%, and we believe it is fairly good already
for a non-Linux non-BSD architecture, i.e. which was almost not exposed to
upstream at all. Our long-term goal is of course to continue to port further
packages, and the general trend as seen on
https://buildd.debian.org/stats/graph.png is positive.
- The buildds are keeping up fine nowadays, so the 96% uptodate figure should
improve once the current issues are resolved.
- It is fine to us to see problematic binary builds (e.g. blocking testing
migrations eventually) be removed, even if they have a couple of rev-deps.

Some questions/open issues for the release team:

- About entering testing: apart for the archive rebuild, is there any remaining
requirement or improvement from our side to fulfill still, or is it just for
the release team to decide?
- How are discussions about the concerns-* fields coordinated? Is the release
team going to inquire those, or should we?
- About buildd-fast-sec, we do have some fast buildd, it is a matter of
enabling a security chroot after a testing distribution is introduced.
- About buildd-dsa, we are fine with a DSA'd buildd, if DSA is happy to
maintain it, they will however probably have to learn a few Hurd things? We
don't know to what extend DSA have to tinker with the machine, but we would be
happy to help.

Now some more verbosity:

Concerning portbox, it should probably be rather pointed at exodar, strauss is
running on quite old and slow hardware.

Concerning the installer, there is just one bug left during template loading
that we need to find a proper fix for (our current images use a workaround).

Concerning the archive coverage, the 76% figure should be accurate for the
current state. The freeze period should allow us to continue increasing it more
easily (no new upstream releases). If you look at the current buildd figures,
we are rather at 75%, this is due to current transitions, the gcc-4.7 FTBFSes,
and webkit FTBFS (about to be fixed).

Concerning buildds, we have set up a 4th one in a third place, improving
redundancy.

Concerning installability, it currently can not really be measured because the
latest upstream webkit release is once more broken for some trivial reasons,
#669059, making a big part of gnome uninstallable. The haskell transition
doesn't help either :)

Concerning buildd-fast-sec and buildd-dsa, we simply haven't taken time to set
them up, essentially to spend it on other tasks. We welcome advise on when
would be preferrable to spent time on it.

Concerning hardware support, Linux 2.6.32 network drivers are now included and
will be used by default in the coming days. That provides a fairly good
coverage of not too-new hardware. We are working on integrating the linux AHCI
driver to support SATA HDDs. Concerning X.org, drivers which do not require drm
should be working. At worse, the vesa driver should work. There is no USB
support, no sound support.

Concerning the debian-ports packages, it is probably good to provide more
details.  The status is tracked on our wiki page:
http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/Hurd

The packages that had been there and are now gone have simply been merged in
main, except in one case, gcc-4.6 and binutils, described a couple of
paragraphs below.

The remaining packages are either
- new Hurd-specific packages (marked hurd-any).
- patched packages which are now waiting for an upload to main. Some of them
have actually already been merged upstream.

We were building packages with debian-ports essentially because patches for
non-released non-Linux architectures take time to be accepted, and in a few
important cases stalled progress because there is always something broken, even
if only in a trivial way, particularly for a non-Linux and non-*BSD arch. With
the recent fix of pulseaudio (at last!), we have started on 30th April to
rebuild the whole archive without debian-ports for good measure. It is
currently at 5500 over 7300 packages, with k* and g* behind, so we expect it to
complete before the end of May.

The exception to patches being merged to main is about an issue with the famous
no-add-needed option, which lead to bug #629866 that was posing problems on
hurd-i386 in a lot of c++ code. The patch has been to disable the
now-systematic no-add-needed in the meanwhile, to be able to make progress.
Last month, we circumvented the issue by building our libpthread as part of the
eglibc build, just like it is done on GNU/Linux with NPTL. This was however not
enough just because of some part of binutils which was not enabled for
hurd-i386, #671804, NMUed in DELAYED/5, in order to be able to build the
packages where that poses problem (estimated to about 200 packages).

Please ask for details on any remaining concerns.

Debian GNU/Hurd porters