la 25. toukok. 2024 klo 10.17 Martin-Éric Racine
(martin-eric.rac...@iki.fi) kirjoitti:
> I cannot help but notice that the Hurd port still depends on 'ntpdate'
> to sync its clock upon bootup. The key problem is that Debian has
> migrated to 'src:ntpsec' which made 'bin:ntpdate' a transitional
> package. However, 'rdate' seemingly has been ported to Hurd. Assuming
> that it is verified to work, it could be usefull to migrate the Hurd
> port to it.

As far as I can tell, on Hurd i386, using 'rdate' without any option
does nothing. The command just sits there and wait.

$ sudo rdate -v pool.ntp.org

However, if I use the -n option for SNTP, it returns something:

$ sudo rdate -n -v pool.ntp.org
Sat May 25 12:35:42 EEST 2024
rdate: adjust local clock by -0.005979 seconds

Unless I'm mistaken, this means that Hurd should be able to use a
wrapper script similar to 'ntpdate-debian' to achieve the same result
as the old reference 'ntpdate' Hurd has forked. It should be fairly
trivial to implement and submit to the 'rdate' maintainer for
inclusion, at which point Hurd's old NTP fork could be put to rest.

Martin-Éric