Foreword : I *really* don't want to start a flame war on that. I am just
_very_ curious. I am currently using Exim. I don't really know a whole lot
about it. I just think that it's nice to have a human readable config file
and a good documentation. I am considering switching to qmail or postfix (I
don't know which one yet) and I would love to know more.

> > The answer? qmail :)

 I heard that answer a LOT of times. I read (please confirm) that qmail was
the best when it came to having a cluster of pop toasters and also that it
was the best when it comes to virtual hosting. After all, AOL - Yahoo -
Netscape and all are using qmail AFAIK.

> actually, the answer is postfix - especially since the original message
> said:

 Again, from what I read, postfix's main priority was security.

 I read your very interresting post about the differences between qmail and
postfix when it comes to licensing issues and backward compatibility with
sendmail. What I would like to know is your opinion on how postfix performs
on the following points:

- Ease of configuration. I don't want to read a whole book to find out how I
can enable relay for a range of IP. The fact that it is sendmail compatible
scares me on that one.

- Scalability. Comparing apples to apples, does postfix provide the tools
when it comes to hosting tens of thousands of virtual domains?

- Reliability. Email is like dial tone these days, it's important to know
how postfix performs on this particular topic.

> postfix is also faster than qmail. and more flexible. and with much
> better anti-spam features.

 Could you elaborate on that?

> by contrast, postfix has an extremely active development community with
> new features and patches being created for it all the time...some of
> which even make it into the mainline postfix release if they meet wietse
> venema's standards.

 This is a very important point. I had no idea that qmail's development was
so slow and that postfix's was so active. Again, can you give more infos?

Again, I appreciate your help in helping people like me get their foot in
this door.

Sincerely,
Haim.
--
Whatthehellhashappenedtomydamnspacebar?!?!?
 -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] --