Can anyone point me in the direction to look for solutions to the below
connection problem? I've been attempting to configure Gnome-PPP for use with our
Internet service, but it does not seem to be working. When I attempt to connect
using a login "script" I am forced to cancel the connection and get the following
in syslog:

pppd[-]: pppd 2.3.11 started by elessar, uid xxxx
pppd[-]: Terminating on signal 15.
pppd[-]: Connect script failed
pppd[-]: Terminating on signal 15.
pppd[-]: Exit.

Our service is set up to use only PAP authentication through our Ascend MAX 4000
series boxes. When not using a "script" the daemon terminates unexpectedly and
puts the following lines to the syslog:

pppd[11295]: pppd 2.3.11 started by elessar, uid xxxx
pppd[11295]: Serial connection established.
pppd[11295]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[11295]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
pppd[11295]: peer refused to authenticate: terminating link
pppd[11295]: Connection terminated.
pppd[11295]: Exit.

My network and Gnome-PPP configurations are as follows:

iface eth0 inet static
 address 192.168.1.1
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 network 192.168.1.0
 broadcast 192.168.1.255
- - - - - - -
[Placement]
Dock=Menubar\\0,0,0,0

[0,Account]
name=NOI
redial_attempts=5
0,phone_number=330270nnnn
1,phone_number=330792nnnn
user=elessar
passwd=pppppppp
remotename=
ip=
remote=
mask=
0,dns_server=x.y.z.a
1,dns_server=x.y.z.b
default_route=true
lock_device=true
mtu=296
mru=296
connect_program=
disconnect_program=
modem_init=ATZ
modem_device=/dev/modem
speed=38400

I have a windows 98 workstation that I will soon be networking with the Debian
box, so the network interface will be significant though I don't want the local
network visible to the Internet. If anyone can point me in the right direction,
it will be greatly appreciated.