Jesse Goerz wrote:

>                       ... [boss] wanted to buy
> a Cobalt but I recommended we install a smoothwall machine
> instead. [...] Whatever I install I have to be able
> to convince him that he can semi-administer it if I'm not there.
>
> Is there a debian-firewall/router distro similar in function to
> smoothwall?

        Smoothwall is a handy, quick install, but I've been unimpressed with
support.  The web site espouses the many benefits of open source
software, but the developer traffic on the user mailing list is largely
"I won't ['add this feature'|'tell you how to use it'] unless someone
pays me" (the usual expletives have been deleted). The lead developer
repeatedly calling folks "fucking morons" just rubbed me the wrong way.[1]
        I took my experience from dinking with the Smoothwall install and
reimplimented it myself with Woody, running 2.4.x,iptables and snort.
Probably not managable by the boss in a pinch, but it turns out that it
was damn easy to set up myself. (iptables rules are a cinch)
        I saw a glowing review for March Networks SME Server 5[2] (formerly
e-Smith) in Linux Magazine this month.  It purports to compete with the
Cobalts of the world by providing an "appliance distribution" -- just
the software to be installed on hardware of your choosing.  The software
install is free to download[3] and money is made by the ServiceLink[4]
service which can take care of monitoring and updates. But, alas, not
Debian as far as I can tell ...

[1] It should be noted that the users list -is- inundated with
RTFM-solved questions, but attitude is attitude.
[2] http://www.e-smith.com/solutions/
[3] http://www.e-smith.org/downloads

[4] http://www.e-smith.com/solutions/servicelink.php