On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 03:03:12PM +0800, Patrick Hsieh wrote:
> >   - obviously this doesn't preclude a bad guy checking out
> >     backup-server:backups/otherhostname (use ssh keys, and invoke cmd="cd
> >     backups/hostname; rsync with whatever daemon options" will limit that)
> Now I know how to use "command=" in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2.
> Providing I have backupserver and debianclient.
> In ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 of backupserver "command=" section, what
> command should I put to automate the backup procedure between
> backupserver and debianclient? I tried:
> command="cd /backup; /usr/bin/rsync -av debianclient:/dirtobackup ./"

run the rsync without a command= statement, and do a ps awux | grep rsync
on the target (like I already suggested).  That command or something close
to it will be the basis for your command=""

> But when I ssh from debianclient to backupserver, it gives me a password
> prompt,, so I enter the password, then rsync begins.

and ?

> I don't understand what "command=" means.  Does it only specify what
> will the server do upon ssh login? Can it specify some commands and
> parameters to restrict ssh <host> <pre-specified command> ?

command= on the target machine is the command that will be run when the
client successfully authenticates.

Try it yourself.

try a command='/bin/cat /etc/motd', and then ssh target:...  use an
identity key of course.

the ssh commandline will have no effect if a command= is present.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/