Has anybody played with vrrpd for creating a failover pair?

I have a quite a low load, but would like to be able to handle a failure
cleanly, so a pair of machines would do fine. The only other issue I have
is a lack of external IP space, can you get vrrpd to do it's keep alive
thing via a subinterface on a seperate ip range?

You might want to use keepalived which includes a vrrp implementation.
I'm running it on the clusters I set up :
http://keepalived.sourceforge.net/
I even use it on Netfilter firewalls without any trouble (without the LVS support)

Sébastien